Today we wanted to share an immune boosting green smoothie recipe with you that tastes great and will support your immune system to help ward off any bugs over the cold, wet winter months!
It’s also a great way to start your day if you’re short on time (only takes a few minutes to prep) and has a whole host of health benefits aside from supporting your immune system.
Without further ado, here’s the recipe…
Immune Boosting Green Smoothie Recipe (serves 2)
- 1/2 green apple
- 1/2 lemon juice (squeezed in)
- 1 stick celery
- 1 small handful spinach
- 1 small handful kale
- 1/3 carrot
- 1/3 cucumber
- 1 scoop plant protein powder (we find vanilla or unflavoured works best)
- 1 scoop greens powder
(If you have access to organic ingredients they would be preferable).
Simply add all the above ingredients to your blender with a little water and blend to desired consistency. If you’re not keen on the taste, you could either eliminate the celery (powerful taste), add stevia (natural sweetener) or add a little more low sugar fruit such as blueberries or pears.
This is the recipe we use, but feel free to add, eliminate or swap ingredients to suit your unique tastes!
In addition to assisting your immune system, the combination of ingredients in this smoothie provide a whole host of other health benefits. Here’s a breakdown, and even more reasons to introduce this green smoothie into your diet:
- Apple – extremely rich in important antioxidants, flavanoids, and dietary fibre.
- Lemon Juice – an excellent source of vitamin C and potassium and has a pH balancing effect.
- Celery – very rich in vitamin K and also contains folate, vitamin A, potassium, and vitamin C. Despite being mainly water, celery also provides a fair amount of dietary fibre.
- Spinach – high in niacin and zinc, as well as protein, fibre, vitamins A, C, E and K, thiamin, vitamin B6, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, copper, and manganese. In other word, it’s loaded with good things for every part of your body!
- Kale – among the most nutrient dense foods on the planet. Kale is loaded with powerful antioxidants like quercetin and kaempferol. It is an excellent source of vitamin C. Kale can help lower cholesterol, which may reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Carrot – good source of antioxidant agents and fibre. Furthermore, carrots are rich in vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, vitamin B8, pantothenic acid, folate, potassium, iron, copper, and manganese.
- Cucumber – contains multiple B vitamins, including vitamin B1, vitamin B5, and vitamin B7 (biotin). B vitamins are known to help ease feelings of anxiety and buffer some of the damaging effects of stress.
- Plant Protein Powder – to provide a protein boost to the smoothie, and linked to lower heart disease risk, lower blood pressure, decreased risk of cancer and healthy weight maintenance.
- Greens Powder – powdered greens and marine plants to add some extra goodness to your smoothie!
So there you have it. An immune boosting green smoothie that tastes good, has an abundance of health benefits, is a healthy snack when you’re short on time, and can be an aid to losing weight and maintaining a healthy body.
Give it a whirl and let us know how you get on 🙂