When you are trying to maintain a healthy lifestyle and eating plan, Halloween can be a truly terrifying time! The traditional foods of Halloween seem to be in every aisle of the supermarket. Halloween decorated biscuits and cakes, pumpkin spiced everything, and more sweets than one can imagine.
You might think that your healthy lifestyle is doomed, but don’t be afraid. In today’s blog post we’re going to share some strategies to help you survive the diet horrors of Halloween:
- Control your cravings. This should be your top priority. Don’t skip meals and keep small healthy snacks on hand. You will be less likely to reach for that sweet treat if you are fuelling your body right throughout the day. You can give your will power a little help by making a shopping list and sticking to it when shopping for food. This will help you limit the amount of treats in the house. If you are buying for trick or treaters, consider giving out non-food options such as small toys or other goodies.
- Halloween only comes once a year, so make sure you enjoy this time but in moderation. Portion control is the key here. Be sure to read those nutrition labels. The snack size treats may be small, but are big on calories. Sugar free items are not necessarily calorie or fat free and can often cause digestive upset. Organic, and treats advertised as healthier options can also be misleading. Many of these foods are still high in fat and calories. With some creativity, you can easily make your own healthy alternatives.
Here are some ideas for healthy Halloween swaps:-
- Swap out a small apple with some almond butter in place of a toffee apple
- Replace a chocolate bar with a handful of dark chocolate covered nuts
- Lollipops, gummy bears, and other fruit flavoured sweets can be replaced with dried fruit
- Pumpkin spiced granola or oatmeal are a great alternative to pumpkin spiced coffees and baked goods
Maintain your fitness goals. Even if you indulged a little more than expected, don’t give up. Get back on track with healthy eating and regular workouts. Clean eating, plenty of water, and exercise is the best way to detox.
Now that you are prepared with these tips, remember that it doesn’t end with the last trick or treater or fancy dress party. This is just the beginning of the tempting holiday season, so incorporate these strategies into your lifestyle and have a happy Halloween!
If you’d like any further tips on ‘surviving’ Halloween (and the holidays in general) without gaining weight, don’t hesitate to get in touch; we’re here to help.
We understand nutrition is a confusing subject, and aside from making healthy choices at this time of year, there are lots of other considerations regarding healthy eating for weight loss and health.
For this reason, nutritional advice and/or coaching included is included in all the Luke Bremner Fitness programmes to improve your chances of success in achieving your health and fitness goals.
To learn more about our programmes, and nutrition coaching, we offer a free consultation at the studio which you can learn more about by clicking the link below:
For more expert advice on health, fitness, nutrition and weight loss, please like our Facebook page by clicking the button below: